Discolored or damaged toenails look extremely bad and give away an impression of being unhygienic of the person. You can hide them by wearing shoes, but not always…! On the days, when you show off some nice stylish collection of sandals, it becomes quite troublesome and embarrassing for you to hide them.
Although, they are treatments in traditional medicine to treat yellow toenails, but they take months to cure and the medication can cause trouble due to the side effects that the medicines have.
However, there are many home remedies that can help you with the yellow toenails without the trouble of side effects.
- What Causes Yellow Toenails?
There could be a couple of reasons that cause yellow toenails. One of them is wearing nail color for longer hours. Since the nail polish is a coating on the nails that prevents the nails to breathe and the color penetrates in the nails, causing the toenails to turn yellow.
Another reason is wearing the shoes all day long. It also causes the toenails turn yellow because the toenails can’t get the fresh air and thus can’t breathe.
- Natural Home Remedies For Yellow Toenails
To start with, clean your feet thoroughly twice a day and dry them off with a clean towel. Use a good quality unscented, anti bacterial soap to clean your feet.
- Avoid wearing socks, shoes and nail color whenever possible. Let your nails get some fresh air.
- Before trying anything, get your doctor’s advice incase you have grown a fungal infection under your toenails.
- A good natural remedy is to add some baking soda to water and soak your toes in it for 5-10 minutes.
- Add some lemon juice to warm water and soak your yellow toenails in it for about 5-10 minutes.
- Another good home remedy for yellow toenails is to apply some Listerine to your toenails with a cotton swab.
- Nothing is better than taking a lot of water intake and vitamins; it will also help your toenails to be healthy.
A good proven natural remedy for yellow toenails is to apply tea tree oil to your toenails with a cotton swab twice a day. This really helps in discoloration of the toenails.
Apply some apple cider vinegar to warm water and soak your feet in it for about 10 minutes.
- How Long Does It Take?
It’s not a matter of days! Getting your yellow toenails cured using the natural remedies might take weeks or even months, depending upon the severity of the problem. If the problem is because of the penetration of the nail color, then it might be cured in a few days. However, if you have grown some fungal infection under the toenails, then it might take a longer time and some patience on your part as well.