Bollywood has given the Indian cinema various outshining stars, who have made their presence felt every time they appeared on the silver screen.¬†And one such star is Manisha Koirala. From the cute, bubbly girl of Saudagar to the serious role in Khamoshi, the actress has come a long way in the film industry.¬†Manisha, in her two decades of career, has carved a niche for herself not only in the film industry but outside the glam town as well.¬†So as the diva turns 46 today, here we bring to you some of the lesser known facts about the birthday girl Manisha Koirala:
1. Born in the politically active family of Nepal of Prakash Koirala and Sushma Koirala, Manisha never aimed to become an actress. In fact, her ambition was to be a doctor, but a modelling stint opened a career path into Bollywood.
2. Manisha Koirala was immaculate despite of being from the most influential family of Nepal; the then newcomer did not resort to her inherited status to provide her with a launching pad in Bollywood.
3. While, Manisha kicked off her acting career in 1989 with a Nepalese film ‘Pheri Bhetaula’, it was in 1991 that she was launched by Subash Ghai in Saudagar starring Dilip, Raj Kumar, Anupam Kher. But despite of sharing the screen with B-town biggies, Manisha’s presence was felt and appreciated.
4. Thereafter, the actress never looked back. Manisha Koirala did several big budget films. Her range began from Love Letter to 1942: A Love Story’ to more serious ones like Akele Hum Akele Tum, Agnisakshi, Bombay, Khamoshi, Dil Se and Mann.
5. The talented actress also won five awards for her brilliant performance in ‘Bombay’, ‘Khamoshi: The Musical'(two awards), ‘Company’, and ‘Escape from Taliban’.
6. After receiving a diploma in filmmaking from New York, U.S.A, she produced the small-budget caper-comedy Paisa Vasool (2004) in which she starred along with Sushmita Sen. Paise Vasool which proved to be a super flop and bombed at the box office.
7. Manisha is actively involved in many social causes to improve the status of women, women’s rights, prevention of violence against women, as well as in the active prevention human trafficking, especially Nepali women, who are abducted and sold as prostitutes.
8. It was in 2010, that the stunning beauty took the nuptial vows with a Nepali businessman Samrat Dahal in a traditional ceremony in Kathmandu. However, the marriage didn’t last for long and couple got separated in 2012.
9. In 2012, Manisha Koirala was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. However, the actress successfully battled the disease and is now following a strict regime.
10. While Manisha Koirala was last seen in ‚ÄėBhoot Returns’three years ago, the actress will soon be seen Rohit Kaushik’s ‚ÄėChehere’ also starring Divya Dutta and Gulshan Grover.